Perinatal Counsellor/Social Worker
Katie is a social worker with more than 15 years experience and is accredited with the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW). She has additional training in perinatal and infant mental health, evidence-based infant sleep support, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Motherhood Studies and trauma-informed parenting support.
Katie is also an Accredited Neuroprotective Developmental Care Practitioner (NDC – also known as the Possums Programs - is an evidence-based approach to the care of parents and babies). She provides support and advice around a range of issues utilising this approach including breastfeeding, infant sleep, unsettled babies and perinatal mental health.
Other ways Katie can support you:
- Postpartum planning (preparing for life with your baby)
- Fear or anxiety during pregnancy relating to birth
- Birth debriefing
- The adjustment to parenthood
- Transitioning from one to two (or more) children
- Mild to moderate perinatal depression and anxiety
- Support with your child's behaviour including tantrums, sleep issues and difficulty regulating emotions
- Building a connected and respectful relationship with your child
- Changes to your identity and sense of self (including the feeling of having 'lost' yourself in motherhood)
- Perinatal loss
- Relationship difficulties and more.
Katie is passionate about optimising parents' mental health and emotional wellbeing and would love to support you to enjoy your experience of parenting as much as you possibly can.
*Clients who are either pregnant or have been pregnant in the preceding 12 months can claim a Medicare rebate for 'non-directive pregnancy support counselling' (MBS item number 81005) for up to three sessions with a GP referral. For more information about how to claim the Medicare rebate, please see the details on Katie's website: https://www.katieparker.com.au/parenting-support-counselling. Katie also provides counselling to those not eligible for the Medicare rebate, in which case the full fee is charged.
You can contact Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about her services.